Monday, November 11, 2013

Remembrance Day Again

I attended the Remembrance Day service this morning.  I did not attend last year, so this was the first time I have gone in Grande Prairie.  Once I was done being cranky at all of the people who showed up late (yet had time to stop at Tim Horton's), I really did get something out of the ceremony.  The prayers were led by a man who noted the importance of Remembrance Day not just for remembering those who fought and gave their youth, health, and life for the freedom we enjoy, but so we don't forget what kind of people we are.

We can nitpick about stupidity and ignorance among the people around us, but ultimately we are people who are kind and hopeful, and who prefer peace to war.  Remembering these traits and aspiring to better ourselves in them is one of the best ways we can also remember who died to defend us.

No comments:

Post a Comment