Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Time, Life, and Love

For the past few months, Amanda and I have been watching Doctor Who. We started with the ninth doctor, and have continued on with the tenth. Tonight we watched the two parter episode that introduced River Song. We've been thoroughly spoiled regarding River due to Pinterest and other things, but the whole premise of her life and how she and the doctor meet at different orders in their lives really struck a chord with us.

We haven't seen enough to know for sure, but if they were living their lives in exact opposite directions (as some of the spoiler material has implied), River would have known that the doctor's first meeting with her would be the last time she ever saw him. When Amanda and I talked it out after the episodes were over, I tried to put it into terms of our life together.

Just imagine if Amanda was experiencing our life together in the opposite direction that I do -- not minute by minute, but day by day perhaps. Today, she would see the wedding ring on her finger and know that our wedding was coming up for her, and in the past for me. In just over three weeks, she'd never be able to call me her husband again. Even worse, even a single reference to how long we've been together would leave her knowing the horrible truth that she only had a fixed amount of time left with me.

Two and a half weeks "after" our wedding, she'd hear me tell her how amazing our two years together have been, and would know exactly how limited our time together would be. A little under a year "later", and she wouldn't be able to call me her fiancée anymore. Two months "after" that, never living with me again. Just over a year "later", and never seeing me again. And finally, on July 10, 2011, receiving an e-mail that started with "Hi there. This website..." And knowing that the two of us would never speak to or see each other ever again.

It's an incredibly sad idea. It makes me want to grab my wife, hug her fiercely, and thank God that we're living our lives in the same direction of time, blissfully ignorant of when one of us will be stolen from the other. So if you'll excuse me, I think I'm going to wrap this up so I can do exactly that.

No comments:

Post a Comment