Thursday, December 27, 2012

Back... To the Future

Amanda and I are rewatching the Back to the Future movies. Last night was the first, and tonight is part 2.

On the whole, these movies hold up incredibly well! Granted, the predictions of the future in 2015 are... interesting. It's neat to watch and see how much has and hasn't happened. Okay, we still don't have flying cars, but we've met or passed the predictions in other areas. We don't have moving monitor waiters, but we have stuff like Siri that could conceivably handle basic order-taking. We're well past CRT monitors, phone booths are endangered species, and hardly anyone owns a personal fax machine at home. We've got video chatting and things like the Nest thermometer that makes automatic lights look like a joke.

And, of course, we have iPads. They really don't show anything even remotely as advanced in terms of computers.

That said, the price for all of this neat stuff is a *serious* lack of hoverboards. I wanted one so badly as a kid, and believed the special feature where the movie's director claimed that hoverboards really existed. I remember one year where I wrote my annual letter to Santa and asked for a hoverboard. I even told him that if he were to give me hoverboard, I wouldn't need a single other gift. In retrospect, even if they had existed, it's probably for the best that I never got one. I barely stood up properly on a normal skateboard, much less a hoverboard that would put me higher off the ground.

Anyway, we're enjoying our trip back to the future. I thoroughly recommend it if you haven't watched any of the movies for a while!

No comments:

Post a Comment