Monday, December 3, 2012

Illness for both of us

Amanda and I are both sick today.  She called in sick, and I came home after less than an hour.  We spent the rest of the morning sleeping in bed, then the entire afternoon and evening sitting/laying on the couch.

I managed enough energy to make a pot of my chicken noodle soup, and now we're in bed over an hour early.  It was weird having a day with both of us sick.  Neither of us is a stranger to illness.  Early this year, I missed most of a week of work with a nasty flu, and Amanda has missed a few days of work this fall/winter.  But we've never been sick at the same time.

On one hand, it was good.  We were both out of energy and not feeling great, but we got to spend the day together on the couch.  When we were feeling up to it, we even caught up on some shows that were recorded on our DVR.

The rest was bad though.  When you're sick, it's nice to have someone to make some juice, or grab a tylenol, or put a blanket on you.  With both of us sick, those moments were in short supply.  It was more like when I was sick while living alone in Tumbler Ridge and having to take care of things myself, except that it was two of us doing it side-by-side.

That's not to say we abandoned each other to our own miseries.  We tried to help each other along.  If one of us had to get up for something, we *did* spare the other person the trip.  Amanda managed to make something for lunch, while I managed supper.  Because of that, at least we're well fed and won't be getting sicker from eating poorly.

It was just hard.  It's hard to see Amanda fighting to get up to grab herself some juice when she's clearly exhausted while I'm unable/unwilling to do it for her because I'm feeling pretty lousy too.

I'm hoping beyond hope that we're both healthy tomorrow.  Barring that, I'd settle for at least one of us being healthy.  Both of us being sick is for the birds.

No comments:

Post a Comment