Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Reading Material

Our reading material is all over the map yet again. Right now, I'm reading the final novel of a Star Wars series, a book about Detroit, The Belgariad, and just finished re-reading Omnitopia Dawn. Meanwhile, Amanda is still getting excellent mileage from her iPad and Kobo as she works her way through the original books that some of the shows we're watching are based on.

Now, it seems normal for me to read so much. I always have, and once I started my library career, things in that area became even easier as my access to books widened. Before I started working in Tumbler Ridge, I had no idea how easy interlibrary loans were, or how they are really no trouble for library staff to perform. But after a few short months, I had an ILL queue that was usually six or seven books long, plus a list I maintained of future books I intended to interlibrary loan.

Amanda takes another tack. Since she got her iPad and Kobo, she's more likely to buy a book on there rather than wait for it to arrive at the library. Some books do not work well on eReaders, and she still asks me to order those in. But for the rest?

...it's awesome living in a world where I can borrow books from over one hundred libraries with no extra charge, and where Amanda can instantly start reading a book she's become interested in, even without stepping outside our front door.

In short, our reading lives are good.

No comments:

Post a Comment