Monday, August 27, 2012

Communication

The older I get, the more frustrated I become when I don't express exactly what I'm thinking.  I know many more words than I did as a child, and I can string them together in ways that should leave no doubt as to my meaning.

But I still sometimes don't get my point across.  It could be just a language mixup, or it could be that I'm overly aware of the different aspects of a position and don't want to be stuck at black or white.  When I was a child I could say "I like pie."  Nowadays though I would be more likely to say "Most of the time I like pie when it's not too hot out, unless there's ice cream to accompany it and it's a pie that works well with ice cream, including, but not limited to apple..."

In short, I think I'm too concerned with articulating a very particular point and in narrowing down my statement I completely inhibit its clarity.  Maybe I need to keep things simple.

I love Amanda.
I like pie.

There.  That's enough to go by, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment