Monday, August 20, 2012

Please Let the Sun go Down on me

Forgive me, Sir Elton, but I'm ready for the sun to go down.  This summer has been the polar opposite of last year's.  Last year:  cool.  This year:  *hot*.  I've lost count of the number of days where the temperature was over 30 above, and even though it's past the halfway point of August, even leaving the window open all night doesn't cool things off enough.

Last year:  *wet*.  It rained so much that bridges washed out, roads were destroyed, and areas were flooding.  This year:  dry.  We've only had one real day of rain in the last four weeks or so.  There have been a few brief showers, and I've been told that there were a few nights when rain fell.  But when morning came, the ground was dry and hot once again.

So what did we do with our very hot day today?  Amanda and I worked like normal, but I made the brilliant decision to walk to the Prairie Mall from the Library during my lunch break to pick something up.  So I walked/walked fast for about 45 minutes in the blazing hot sun in the middle of the day.  That wasn't my best decision, perhaps.

I have already suffered sunburns this summer, and while I don't think I burnt again today, I still feel incredibly, incredibly warm.  Warm enough that the idea of plunging into a bathtub filled with ice water sounds amazing.  Warm enough that I'm wishing for -30 weather where just a brief moment outside would cool me down.  Warm enough that I'm wondering if I can sleep in the bathtub filled with ice water tonight instead of in bed.

It's hot.

I'm thinking about ice cream and frappuchinos, freezies and snow cones.  I'm thinking about putting Inception on and skipping to the dream layer where they're breaking into that snowbound prison.  I'm also thinking about firing up Final Fantasy VI and playing through the team battle against Kefka's army in Narshe, or maybe challenging the penguin in Super Mario 64 to a race down the ice slide.

I think my brain has officially reached meltdown.  ...yet it produced a fairly lengthy and (hopefully) interesting blog post.  Well played brain, well played.

No comments:

Post a Comment