Saturday, January 26, 2013

Libraryman

Today at the library, I had a patron ask me a question, then ask "are you a librarian?"

I answered yes. I'm a library technician, not a full-blown MLIS librarian, but in the context she was asking it (ie. a library staff member who doesn't just put books away or sign them in and out), I definitely am.

I briefly felt bad about not being perfectly clear and honest despite the fact that the patron wouldn't have cared about the distinction, but then she followed up by saying "I thought only women were librarians."

At that point, I cared no longer about the accuracy. I was a little annoyed about the double standard. I bet if I had introduced my fiancée to this patron and told her Amanda works at a hydraulic shop, she would have thought it was awesome. But I would also guess she's the kind of person who insists on using terms like "male nurse".

*sigh* It's 2013. For anyone looking for a late resolution, can we please either agree that all people who work in non-stereotypical jobs for their gender are awesome, or give up on the idea that certain jobs are "meant" for a certain gender?

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment