Thursday, September 20, 2012

A Man or a Muppet?

At one point in last year's The Muppets, the two main characters sing "Am I a man, or am I a muppet?"  It was a great song with a cameo by Jim Parsons that had Amanda and I clapping.

Occasionally I think about that song in relation to me and my life.  Am I the guy who works hard as a Library technician, buys flowers for his girlfriend, writes, and enjoys playing frisbee, or am I the guy who likes to sit in front of his computer for hours playing Minecraft?

There's lots of evidence in each direction.  I like to think I'm fairly good at my job (even my new one), and I certainly enjoy spending time with Amanda and indulging my creative side.

On the other hand, before I moved to Grande Prairie, my Mondays were largely split between driving home from Grande Prairie, doing laundry, and playing Minecraft.  I've spent countless hours mining into the depths of the world, fighting zombies and skeletons, and building monuments that I think are impressive.  ...okay, not "countless" hours.  I've played for 5  1/3 days according to the in-game stats.  That's 128 hours.

Granted, the time I spend playing Minecraft has plummeted since I moved in with Amanda.  But still, the question remains.

Am I a man, or am I a Minecrafter?

No comments:

Post a Comment