Monday, July 2, 2012

Blowing in to Grande Prairie



This was the final photo Amanda and I took together on the weekend of June 23-24.  It has nothing to do with tonight's blog post other than having the word "air" which sort of relates to this post's title.

I have some big news for blog readers.


I'm coming to Grande Prairie.  Not for a weekend.  Not for a vacation.  For good.


About a month ago, I applied for a job posted at the Grande Prairie Public Library.  It sounded like a neat job, a good opportunity, and a possible way to let Amanda and I live in the same city.  I didn't expect anything to come of it.  I assumed that the library would be overwhelmed with applicants and that the posting would be filled internally by a current employee of the library.


I was wrong.  Two weeks ago when I returned from Grande Prairie, my cell phone rang as I was turning onto the street I live on.  I ignored the call.  I assumed it was probably my parents, that they'd leave a message, and that it really wasn't worth me pulling over two minutes from home just to answer the phone.


When I dropped my suitcase on my bed and listened to my voicemail message, I learned how wrong I was.  The phone call had been from a staff member at the Grande Prairie Public Library who wanted to schedule an interview.  I looked at my watch, thought about the fact that I'd been in Grande Prairie three hours before, sighed, and then called back.


We scheduled my interview for the following Monday.  As a result, Amanda and my weekend plans changed slightly, and I went back to Grande Prairie on Saturday night after work.  My interview was on Monday morning and it seemed to go well.  Then I returned to Tumbler Ridge and went back to work on my normal schedule.


...until Thursday.


On Thursday night there was a voicemail on my phone asking me to call the Grande Prairie Public Library.  It was already after 8, so I waited for the next morning, played a brief game of phone tag, and then got the news.  They wanted to hire me for the job.


I start in a few short weeks.  So over the next two weeks I'll be wrapping stuff up in Tumbler Ridge, then taking a (very) short vacation with Amanda before spending the remainder of my week of vacation moving to Grande Prairie.


Updates might be a little sporadic during the next three weeks, so I humbly ask for your patience starting now.  Once I've moved to Grande Prairie and gotten settled in, things should return to a normal schedule.  As an extra benefit, because Amanda and I won't be limited to seeing each other on weekends when the weather cooperates and we're both healthy, I shouldn't have too many photo shortages in the future.


So that's the big news.  The Kissing Couple of Grande Prairie will *both* be living in Grande Prairie.


Exciting, isn't it?  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment