Sunday, April 22, 2012

Amanda's Birthday Cake

(Sorry folks, the restaurant review will be delayed -- we had something else that Amanda encouraged me to write about and a photo she suggested I post)

On Friday afternoon, I had an idea.  I was wandering around Save-On picking up a few groceries to make supper and thinking about Amanda's birthday.  I debated buying her a cake, but decided it was kind of impersonal and chose not too.  Then I saw birthday Oreos and thought that they might at least be funny, but I decided against them too.

So I wandered down the cake mix aisle, picked out a cake, some icing, and some candles, with the intent of baking Amanda a birthday cake on Sunday night.  When we were out today so Amanda could buy some groceries, I also bought some sprinkles and coloured icing to decorate with.  I joked with Amanda that I'd draw "What Amanda *really* needs" in the style of the whiteboard drawings I do at the library, and she encouraged me to grab a large squeeze tube of decorating icing.

...The cake was too warm, and the icing too cold, and the cake tore somewhat when I was trying to spread the icing over it.  I had no good ideas for a drawing, and when I started trying to write Happy Birthday, it was coming out horribly.

Then I had my second idea.  Amanda bought me Plants vs. Zombies for my DS for my birthday.  I finished it last week, and Amanda and I have spent all weekend singing "There are zombies on our lawn" to each other, even while playing Plants vs. Zombies against each other.

So I drew a pea shooter.  Then a sunflower.  Then a very sloppy sun falling from the sky, and then an *extremely* crappy looking zombie that was originally intended to look like the drawings of my stand-in on the library's whiteboard.  Finally, I wrote the word "BWAIN" on the top -- how Amanda says "brain" when we're playing against each other and she's in the process of beating down my plants.

It was sloppy, ugly, and the cake looked like it was the sole survivor of a lawn-war between plants and zombies.

Amanda loved it!


No comments:

Post a Comment