Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Thoughts on Life, Love, and Amanda

When Amanda and I first started dating, I fell for her incredibly quickly but things felt like they were moving fast.  We went on our first date only a week and a half after I first e-mailed her, she made her first trip out to Tumbler Ridge two weeks after that, and before we knew it, we were spending as much time together as humanly possible.

It wasn't that hard at first.  The idea of having a girlfriend was still really new to me and seeing her on the weekend seemed about right.  I could live my normal life, and then go see Amanda on Saturday and Sunday.


Those thoughts changed sometime in late August or September.  I was in Grande Prairie for the weekend with Amanda, and planned on leaving Sunday afternoon after we went out for supper.  After supper though, we dawdled.  Amanda had sort of floated the idea of me staying until Monday morning, but I thought that we really wouldn't get that much time together, and that I'd be in the way when she was getting ready for work in the morning.


By the time we got back to her place from supper, I had changed my mind.  I asked her if she minded if I stayed.


That marked the turning point.  From then on, my life has been measured in hours to go until I see Amanda again.  As I write this, the countdown is at around 70 hours until I'll pull into her building's parking lot, text her to let her know I've arrived, and see her smiling face walking down the stairs to open the outside door.


Lately I've been feeling more and more like I live my *real* life on weekends when I'm with Amanda.  I've been thinking lately, and my life isn't so different from the miners who live in Tumbler Ridge and go home to their families elsewhere on their days off.  Both of us feel like we really belong somewhere else.


...and I belong with Amanda!





No comments:

Post a Comment